What makes Jicaro Island Lodge a sustainable hotel.
Harmony with nature and the local community were a key consideration in the development of Jicaro Island Lodge. The hotel was built with minimum impact to the island and with very careful planning in terms of water supply, waste water treatment and electricity usage. The team in charge of the management of Jicaro has a 12 year track record running ecolodges and sustainable hotels in Costa Rica and has brought this accumulated know how to Nicaragua.
Just a few examples of how the hotel is sustainable:
- Water is filtered for drinking, so no plastic bottles going to landfill.
- Water is heated with solar panels for guest and kitchen use.
- No air conditioning is installed on the island. Cross ventilation and ceiling fans create enough of a cooling effect to ensure guest comfort.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. While there is a strong recycling program installed, the focus due to the island location is on reducing. Bring as little trash to the island as possible.
- Wastewater is treated on the island with a treatment plant complying not only with Nicaraguan but internationally accepted standards.
- Hiring of a local staff is essential to the success of the lodge. We want to spread the potential wealth that tourism brings to Nicaragua by hiring locals as employees, subcontracting services locally and buying and producing locally.Help Us Give Back
- Use of organic and biodegradable soaps, cleaning detergents and spa products.
- Chlorine free systems to clean water in the pool.
- Energy efficient lighting and illumination throughout the island.
- Underground electricity system that does not interfere with the surrounding wildlife.
- Low energy bulbs
- Education of local communities in sustainable practices
- Pigs and chickens
- Dinner ordering
Jicaro Island Lodge is a member of the Cayuga Collection of Sustainable Luxury Hotels